A standard oxygen supply could be added to the intake as well as a humidification system.
AN EMERGENCY VENTILATOR
How it works
Our device is an assisted breathing device. It uses pressure to switch modes, so the design may support both assisted and automatic breathing modes. It can do more or less based on someone's own capabilities. If someone tries to inhale, then it will help them inhale. If they try to exhale, then it will try to help them.
The pressure builds on both sides of the bistable fluidic amplifier to determine when to switch....so when the lungs fill up, the device’s internal flow path switches to the other side, triggering the exhalation phase and venting gases through the exhaust port. When exhalation is complete, the device flow path switches to the other side and triggers the inhalation phase. Positive pressure is maintained throughout all phases of flow. The 3 set-screws on the device enable adjustments in the inhale pressure, the exhale pressure, and the duration of the exhale volume.
Objectives & Benefits
According to the New York Times, there are about 170,000 ventilators in the US while the American Hospital Association estimates 960,000 people will need them over the course of the pandemic.
- An inexpensive mechanical field option for make-shift hospitals that lack ventilators
- A viable and safe alternative for field use
- Available for resources-constrained regions
- Inexpensive to produce
- Super fast to make
- No complex electronics required
A worldwide collaborative effort
- This is a worldwide effort where dozens of organizations and companies are working in parallel paths, with the unified goal of creating ventilators for the expected, unprecedented shortage of supply.
- Addressing this unmet medical need can save lives; it doesn’t need to be our concept. We are all working to bring forward solutions which will get us there safely and as quickly as possible.
- The US Army came up with an emergency ventilator in 1965 in collaboration with Harry Diamond, and published a positive study of the outcome. Our concept builds on their innovative work.
- Fresh Consulting and a team of innovators have come together to replicate that concept...and position it to scale after validating it meets safety standards and requirements.
FRESH CONSULTING INNOVATION TEAM
Contributors and collaborators volunteering their expertise
Chief Science Officer
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
Global Supply Chain Lead
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Legal Officer
Sr. Digital Producer
Motion Graphic Designer
A design-led software, hardware, and robotics innovation company that offers end-to-end services with integrated teams.